Holy Cross: It’s Kind Of A Family Thing

When I think of Holy Cross, I automatically think of my family. I think of the long laundry list of graduates that are related to me or just friends. And I think of pressure. Pressure to find a school just like Holy Cross or go to Holy Cross. As a junior in High School embarking on the journey of college applications, my mind was made up. I was not going to go to Holy Cross (I thought). HC was my family’s school, definitely not mine. I was going to have my own experiences somewhere far away and more exotic. There was even a period of time where I thought I was going to move to London.

Today I’m sitting in Dinand Library at Holy Cross writing this blog post as a Holy Cross student trying to explain how wonderful this place really is. I’m sure there are so many students reading this right now who feel the same way I did in High School. You want to pave your own path. I completely get it.

Whether everyone in your family went to Holy Cross or you’re the first in your family to go to college, you can blaze an amazing trail at Holy Cross. In the last six weeks, I’ve formed strong relationships with peers, gotten involved on campus in several activities, become close with my professors, and established incredible support systems from students and faculty alike.

Don’t worry about living in the shadow of a cousin or sibling, Holy Cross will be excited to have YOU. Someone very close to me told me to “shine as brightly as I can” and at Holy Cross you can. You will make your own experience regardless of whether or not your family came here.

Holy Cross has so much to offer, don’t be afraid to fall in love with this place. It will be your own and it can be your own. Take it from me, after living on campus, Holy Cross becomes home and you quickly forget about those who came before you. Trust me, your education is all about you and the community at Holy Cross wants you to be happy. Your alumni family already took their shot, now it’s your turn.